Thai milk tea is a popular traditional beverage in Thailand that is served hot or cold and is usually prepared with tea, sugar and milk.
While those ingredients don’t sound particularly interesting or unique, the tea blend tends to be a local Ceylon variety, and there are plenty of other ingredients, spices, or alterations that are made, depending on who’s brewing the tea.
It stands out for its dark amber or orange tone, and a top layer of whipped milk.
Does makes a perfect combination of strong tea, with dairy product and sugar.
It serves to refresh us when it is hot and also to accompany the spicy foods, typical of this area of Asia.
What is thai milk tea made of?
Related article: Why We Love Thai Iced Tea?
Iced or Hot Thai milk tea.
Cold Thai tea.
It has condensed milk and sugar, and after putting ice on it is completed with a top of milk cream. It is the best known variety.
Dark cold Thai tea.
it is Thai tea served cold without milk content, sweetened only with sugar. The concept is based on traditional Indian tea, which is used as the main ingredient.
Thai lime tea.
It is similar to the previous one, but flavored with lime, also sweetened with sugar. They can also add mint to it.
Hot Thai tea.
The custom among Thais is to drink this hot drink in the mornings. They usually accompany it with “pathongko”, which are a kind of Thai churros.
Hot Thai tea, as the name implies, is traditional and hot.
Dark hot Thai tea: served hot, without adding any milk, sweetened only with sugar.
Related article: What does honey ginger tea do?
How to make Thai milk tea.
The main ingredient is black tea. Thai tea mix spices┬á can be included are: anise, cloves, cardamom, ginger, pepper and quite cinnamon.
Water and milk cannot be missing in this recipe, and as we have said before, I recommend you to use soy, almond or coconut milk.
The preparation of this tea is very easy.
- Simply gather all the spices and place them in the filter inside the kettle with boiling water.
- Wait for it to take effect for about 4 minutes.
- Once the tea is removed from the teapot we just have to serve it in a cup and pour the milk you want.
- There are those who prefer to sweeten it but my advice is to enjoy it only with milk to savor it even more.
- Finally, sprinkle a pinch of cinnamon on top so that it is irresistibly good.
Thai milk tea recipe.
- 100 grams of black tea (Assam)
- Star anise, cardamom or tamarind pulp (cinnamon, cloves, or other Thai tea mix spices can be added as well)
- 6 cups hot water
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1/2 cup condensed milk
- 1 cup evaporated milk (or any other type of milk)
- Put the tea and the chosen Thai tea mix spices in the hot water for 5 minutes.
- With the infusion still hot, add the sugar and stir so that it dissolves well.
- Add the condensed milk.
- Let the mixture cool to room temperature or refrigerate.
- Fill a glass with ice (whole or cubes), add the tea mixture up to 3/4 of the glass, fill the rest with evaporated milk or the one you have chosen.
Related articles: Is Iced Tea Good for You? Updated.
Benefits of┬á Thai Milk Tea.
The most notable benefits of Thai tea include its effects on cholesterol levels, weight loss, stress, and cancer prevention, among others.
Cleanses the urinary tract.
As with many black teas, this type of tea has a number of powerful antioxidants that can help reduce oxidative stress and prevent the negative effects of free radicals on the body.
This will prevent cell mutation, which can lead to cancer.
Despite the high amount of calories in this drink, it can be very abundant, and caffeine can suppress hunger in some cases, preventing overeating and helping you in your weight loss goals.
Related article: 9 Matcha tea benefits you should be aware of.
It is Energizing.
Caffeine is a great way to boost metabolism and overall energy levels, which helps burn more fat and be more active.
Research has shown that black tea varieties can help protect the integrity of blood vessels and arteries, reducing the risk of atherosclerosis, heart attacks, and strokes.
It does help asthma.
Studies on this tea find that it can soothe inflammation in the throat and prevent irritation and allergic reactions, along with asthma symptoms.
Some people are quite sensitive to various types of food or any chemical ingredient. The flavonoid compound in thai tea helps reduce allergies.
It would be much better if you drink Thai milk tea shortly after you realize that you suffer from allergy to minimize its effects on the body.